Friday, October 22, 2010

The Emotions of Styling


Dave McNeal, one of the Tiddlerosis readers and a collector of pristine motorcycles of many brands, sizes, and types, sent me about fifty photos of some of his collection a while back, and this classic black Metralla is one of them. I have covered this machine in an earlier post, but this photo inspired me to discuss a topic dear to my Tiddlerosis heart, motorcycle styling, and the Metralla offers an interesting approach to this subject.

Let me begin by saying that I have a thing for skinny, as opposed to fat, motorcycles. Of course I find machines such as the H-D Cowglide and Fat Boy quite interesting style-wise, but I would never seriously lust after one. Longtime readers of Tiddlerosis already know that I am obsessed with Honda Scramblers, certain Yamahas, the Ducati Diana, the Kaw H-1 Mach III, and of course, the Bultaco Metralla. In the latter case, I am not interested in just any Metralla, but only the model as pictured here, in black only. I like the exact same look in red, but not nearly as well as the black one. I think this is mostly because the model has a red tank with the same black frame, headlamp, and fork covers as the black model, so the black one appears a little more pure to me in its styling, even though I usually prefer a red motorcycle over the black version of the same model.

Here is the unusual part about the Bultaco Metralla: taken individually, I do not much care for a single component of this machine! I do not like that white area, for a European license number I presume, on the front fender. I don't like the rear support on the front fender not being matched by one in the front. I don't like that big, long blob of a headlamp shape. I prefer rubber gaiters over solid black front fork covers. I do not care for that flip-open gas cap, the lack of chrome on the machine, or the air filter that looks like an ashtray. I hate the fact that the shifter is on the right and the kickstarter is on the left. I am not crazy about the look of Akront rims and the shape of the exhaust pipe is boring. If I think of anything else to fuss about, I shall let you know.

After the skinny concept, the next thing I look for in styling is how well a machine appeals to the eye in its overall look, and finally, I give large points to a machine that operates upon the KISS Principle, and the Metralla gets five stars in all three of these criteria. I may not think much of the styling of the individual components of the Metralla, but I love the total effect! There is not an unnecessary pound on this bike. It has little chrome because chrome parts are heavy. Every component is as simple and light as it can be. If the Metralla was a car, it most certainly would be a Lotus, a brand that rightfully prides itself on the ultimate development and utilization of lightness and simplicity to produce high performance from its delicate machines. I am sure that I shall never like the Metralla's right-side shifter or its magneto lighting and ignition, but I love the way its looks and function combine to make it one of my favorite tiddlers of all time!

See also: Bultaco Metralla

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive