Friday, December 5, 2008

Capriolo Bondone



I know very little about Capriolos, but here is all the information I do have. The Complete Illustrated Encyclopedia of the World's Motorcycles by Erwin Tragatsch (1977) provides the following bits of data. The Italian brand built four-stroke, OHV singles of 73cc, 100cc, and 125cc from 1948 through 1963. The early 73cc models had pressed steel frames, but all the later models had tubular frames with single front downtubes. All transmissions were in-unit four-speeds with right-side foot shifters. The company also built a few motorcycles with NSU two-stroke engines, a few with OHC engines, and a 150cc, OHV, flat twin (like a tiny BMW).

Joe Heald sent me four photos of his 100cc Capriolo Bondone, two in B&W and two in color. The one shown of his '61 Bondone is my favorite. Joe listed 1961 on one photo, but he indicated uncertainty about the year. We can assume his Bondone is a '61 model unless he (or another Capriolo fan) tells me otherwise. I have never seen the model name Bondone before, so I know nothing of the origin of that model name. Thank you, Joe, for these rare photos. If you happen to see this new version of Tiddlerosis, please contact me. I would like to add much more info about this rare Italian brand.

As you can see, it was too little too late for Capriolo in the exploding U.S. market for tiddlers in 1963. While Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki were turning the two-wheeled world upside down with technology, style, and barn-door reliability, Capriolo was just getting around to seriously marketing their machines in the United States. Capriolo will always be a delicate Italian footnote in the vast world of tiddlers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive