Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Chopper Cub


Here is the final photo and iteration of the Chopper Cub. Although this is the only photo of this final development I have, at least it shows all the changes. The pressed-steel handlebars were removed, along with the plastic headlight nacelle and speedometer housing. The chrome handlebars you see here are probably the later, higher version from the Sport 50. The handgrips are those soft, fat type made in Italy. Although the headlight was left in abstentia, the speedo was left secured in place with its bracket. Only the plastic housing surrounding it was removed. The remaining changes were that the front fender was removed and the same nice uncle who fabricated the exhaust system built a black leather (not vinyl) pad for the sissy bar.

At the end of 1969, or maybe it was the beginning of 1970, I had acquired enough cash to move upmarket. I know this sounds positively insane now, and yes, it does make me wish I had bought a garage full of crated tiddlers in the '60's. I would like nothing more now than to have a fresh new Sport 50, a YG-1, a Scrambler 90, a blue '69 G3, and a Suzuki Maverick sitting in my garage waiting patiently for me to sigh contemplatively and wipe my drool off the gas tanks before I left. I returned the sweet little '66 C-100 to its original stock condition and traded it at the Kawasaki dealership for a new '69 G3-TR. I had paid $120 when the Cub was a year old at the local Honda dealership. The Kaw dealer allowed me $150 in trade-in value. I had never removed the spark plug.

See Also: Close View Cub, Metalflake Cub, Night Cub, Lake Cub, & Mud Cub

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive